Have you ever had a day when you were super busy, and then look back and think, “what the heck do I DO all day?!” I know I have!
Here are 3 strategies for increasing FOCUS and ENERGY to be more productive, and still have gas in the tank at the end of the day.
1. Treat your gut like your life depends on it. There is an intricate connection between the gut and the brain which is pivotal for optimal mental function. A few aspects of the brain that rely on a healthy gut include:
- Prefrontal cortex, for decision-making and problem-solving
- Neurotransmitters, for motivation and attention
- Limbic system, crucial for controlling emotions
- Hippocampus, which supports memory function
- Reticular Activating System, for focus and alertness
2. Build recovery time into your schedule. Research has shown that intense cognitive work can cause potentially toxic byproducts to build up in the prefrontal cortex. That’s the part of our brain that helps us solve problems and make good decisions. Scheduling rest and recovery into our day, week and life is critical to sustaining performance.
3. Recognize your time wasters. Time wasters can be self-imposed or imposed by others. Examples of self-imposed time wasters are unnecessary distractions, multitasking, and perfectionism. Time wasters that are imposed by others include a lack of clarity and interruptions. Once you recognize which of these are impeding productivity, you can put a plan in place to obliterate them.
Watch the video HERE.